Thursday, April 11, 2013

My interview with Qin Shi Huang

             I sat down with a very famous person from the Qin Dynasty who was known as "The First Emperor Of China", Qin Shi Huang. I asked him a series of questions and here is some of what he had told me!
 
 
1. How did you start with trying to develop China?
    Well, first I "attempted to get rid of any pre Qin influences of China by ordering the destruction of all books that were not related to the history of the Qin, Astrology or the Practical Sciences," (Qin Shi Huang). If the scholars protested, I threw them into the fire with their books. I, also, constructed the first connection of the Great Wall of China that defended the northern border. Those were only the first few things I did to develop China further.

2. Why did you standardize the  writing, weights, and measures systems throughout your kingdom?
     I had conquered new states and I wanted to have more trade among these states. Each state had their own standardized system of measuring and weighing. I just wanted my kingdom to unite to help strengthen it. The standardization I created was good for the writing, weights, and measurements but did not really work for ideas of philosophy.

3. Why did you decide to build the Great Wall of China?
    I built the Great Wall of China to keep all of my territory together and protect my country from outside forces. I started the wall at "Liaodong Bay in the east" and it makes its way to "Lintao of Gansu Province" in the western area, (Melissa Chang). This project required thousands and thousands of people stretching more than 5,000 kilometers. It was all worth it though because the Great Wall is what I'm well-known for.

4. Do you think you are a cruel leader?
     I am not a cruel leader! Some people who went against my rules were killed or banished, but they deserved that. My rules are set to keep everyone in line and I enforce my rules. Other people would discuss about the past but that is not needed because people are in my dynasty so they shouldn't be discussing the past so I would banish them too. I'm not a cruel leader but I do enforce my rules and if you go against them you will be punished.

5. Who was Mao Zedong?
     Mao Zedong was one of my "greatest admirers." He said that he "considered the emperor as well as most officials to be honest, good and clever men," (Facts and Details). Mao Zedong thinks my rule is very effective and that I am a good leader. He admires what I am doing for China.

1 comment: